Last year for Valentine's Day, Randy woke me up early and presented a steaming plate of buttery pancakes and a giant, oversized heart shaped Love balloon. What a guy!
Days passed and we enjoyed gazing at our Love balloon each night as we crawled into bed. After about a month our Love balloon silently drifted behind our bedroom door and rested there hidden for several months.
As the days and months went by, we noticed our Love balloon was hardly changing. Not only was our Love balloon holding it's shape but it was still floating perfectly erect. Don't mylar balloons usually die after a few days or weeks? How long could this Love balloon last? As an experiment, we decided to hang on to it until it died....just to see. Fast forward to present day and behold...our Love balloon!
So the question for today is not whether I love my husband and think he is adorable, loving and oh so sexy (which i do!) but, after one year, do I throw this Love balloon away and live with the guilt of knowing that it will probably lay dormant in a land fill while maintaining it's perfect heart shape for the next 1000 years OR continue the experiment?
Monday, February 14, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

20 comments:
I love the fact that your question includes an environmental concern...that is so you. haha.
I think it is awesome that the balloon lasted and that you should keep it going!!! It's a nice reminder of your enduring love. :) Plus, if nothing else, at least Randy won't have to get you another balloon for perhaps a few more Valentine's Days...
Awe, It's your love fern! That is amazing it's lasted a whole year. I personslly think you should keep it forever and ever ... or untill it deflates (which at this rate is probably never).
I vote you keep it. :) Alena's right, it probably won't ever deflate --- because it floats with the power of your love!!!
I totally thought of the love fern too! ha haaa
I vote for keeping it too!! It is obviously one special love balloon!
Aw, that makes me miss Petey. Whatever happened to him/her? I'm sorry, but you simply cannot casually toss something that has been named. The Love Balloon must live.
For now reason except to add an opposition, I'm gonna go against the majority here and say Toss It!! Ha!
That is pretty much amazing, I mean I've heard of several months..but a year! Wow, Happy Valetines day to you!
You have to keep the experiment going, Katie!! We tried that experiment at work, and our mylar balloon only lasted about 6 months!!
That is unbelievable! It's symbolic now. I think it would be bad luck to throw it away. You have to keep it forever, whether or not it deflates. I'm serious!
as much as i don't want to have this floating around in my bedroom for another year, i'm just too curious to throw away our Love balloon right now :)
the experiment goes on!
I can't believe its held on that long! I am dying to know how long it will continue.
I am reminded of a story. One day Auntie Lulu asked if she could buy your brother Travis a goldfish. "Sure", I told her, I mean how much trouble could a goldfish be, they live like a week or something, right. "Sure, we'll try the goldfish experiment."
7 long years later Yaka the goldfish was still alive and well. Yes, 7, as in seven, as in one year more than six. 7 years of stinky goldfish food and changing the green water in the bowl. Seven years of very annoying chores all for that ....um...blankety blank fish.
I am just saying that experiments can take a very long time sometimes. That's all.
And Petey was in Jane's care last time I knew. Petey is an orange that is very old. More than 7 years old. Way, way more than seven years old.
Again, just saying that experiments can take a long time!
But since Yaka and Petey both were experiments that happened under my watch, I am sure you know that I would totally see this to the very end.
I would just like to inform Aunt LeAnn That Petee is currently in my nighstand drawer safe and sound right next to where I sleep at night. I see her every night when I put on my eye cream and every morning when I put on jewelry. :)
Oh and yes, mom, Petee is way more than 7 years old. Let's see...I wrote an essay about her for class in 3rd grade, so she's at LEAST 16 years old...but probably more like 18.
She did suffer some trauma when Ryan threw her against the wall one time (that little weasel) and she got a crack against her forehead, but time heals all wounds, and I don't even have to keep her bandaid on anymore.
Maybe I should stop blabbing on Katie's comments and do my own post on Petee...
I am laughing and crying from happiness that Petee is still with the living !!! Jane, I think she does deserve her own post. Pretty impressive to be an 18 year old orange.
Jane-
I don't think i ever heard the story or maybe i just don't remember how you ended up with Petee? Randy is wondering how come she didn't rot? I think you should dedicate a post to the story of Petee. Maybe you can even include your essay from 3rd grade :)
Wait. Petee is a girl? I thought for all these years that Petee was a boy orange. I am in shock. I will have adjust all my thinking.
Yep, Mom. She's a girl! That explains why I made her a little flowered bonnet (I use that term loosely) years ago...ha ha. For some reason she just seemed like a girl to me.
Mom, if you can find my old essay for me I will definitely include it in a blog post. :)
Where would I look for that old essay Jane? If you want me to look in your closet will you please provide me with a map, including an X marks the spot.
Post a Comment