Tuesday, December 22, 2009

coming of age

Tonight I had my first Christmas party of my working career. Ok, so that's not exactly true. While I was in hygiene school and working at ProClub they had a Christmas party every year. Randy and I both worked part-time but never attended the party. I guess what I mean is, tonight was my first Christmas party of my POST school working career. I'm not sure why but it sort of felt like a rite of passage for me. I feel like I have now officially arrived in the working world. I'm sure this sounds weird considering the stigmas associated with work parties; uneasy social moments between co-workers and family members, awkard mix of drinkers and non drinkers, the anxiety of when to leave the party without being rude...the list could go on.

As we sat at dinner I had a moment of reflection. It's crazy how time passes. I've been out of school for 1 1/2 yrs and boy have I learned a lot. I feel so blessed to have a job in this crazy economy. I have friends who have lost jobs and others who have just had a really hard time finding work. I work at two offices, neither of which are perfect, but I feel determined to be grateful and a renewed charge to focus on the positive in both situations. I work with great people who are willing to share their knowledge and give advice at appropriate times. I know it is because of them that I am continuing to develop and grow as a hygienist. And for that, I am THANKFUL. All that being said however....I am so exciting to be starting vacation tomorrow!!

(myself, jeanette and lori. both are hygienists i work with. i'm the rookie of the bunch)

2 comments:

Woodengirl said...

You are a skilled professional woman. I'm so proud. It is a moment in time to remember! Have fun on your vacation!

AmyAnn said...

Totally agree with you Katie. It is a strange thought to think that we actually have real jobs ...we are kind of grown-up. Miss you!