Sunday, November 9, 2008
word of the day
Hullabaloo: pronounced hul.la.ba.loo meaning loud noise and confusion; hubbub.
Within 15 minutes of returning to my parents house in Seattle for another work week my mom starting throwing around pretend words...or so I thought. She used hullabaloo in the following sentence in regards to a movie she was watching on tv, "...they're troubled by the hullabaloo of a recent divorce..." I completely thought she pulled this word out of nowhere only to be proven wrong by Webster himself. You're so smart mom!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Grandma Welch used to always say: Don't be a picayune. I remember with vivid clarity how shocked I was to run across it in the dictionary as a real word !!!
I think you should keep this "word of the day" thing going...
Jane,that's a good idea! Obviously, I don't have a very large vocabulary. I think the next word should be picayune. Meaning and/or pronunciation anyone?
Post a Comment