Tuesday, October 28, 2008

weekend


Hooray, I'm finally licensed in Oregon!! After months of waiting and struggling over the Oregon jurisprudence exam it's all finally over...thankfully! To celebrate and for some much needed snuggle time, I headed back down to spend the weekend with Randy. I've been in Washington temping for the past 2 weeks so it was great to be able to go back home for a few days. I was offered a job for the month of November in Washington and Randy and I decided the best thing for us would be to accept the job. I'm sure it will make for a long month but we've figured out the train schedule so i'll be able to be in Oregon almost every weekend. A small percentage of me is excited to ride the train, be a full time working/commuting woman and to bring home a regular paycheck. However, the majority of me wishes I could be riding a train with Randy on our way to a ski vacation, working full time in Oregon and not commuting, and grateful for whatever income we have.

Here's a snapshot of our weekend together...


Last month when I was in WA my mom and I ran into this table and chairs at a second hand antique store in Duvall. It was a great deal, a steal in fact, and we gave it a good hard thinking about. A week later my mom returned and bought them for Randy and I. They are great and the perfect thing for us. The sides fold up and there are 3 additional leaves that can be added to expand the table. This is definitely a table that we'll be able to grow with over the next few years. Thanks Mom!!


Back in September I was having a hankering to try gardening. The shelving unit was abandoned at one of the stores Randy used to help manage. He brought it home one day and I have never known what to do with it...until now. Instead of buying pots or planter boxes, why not make some. Pots would have been much cuter but it was fun to have a project. I decided to plant tulip and daffodil bulbs. I did a little research at the library and with the help of Gardening 101 by Martha Stewart, I got everything planted. My plan is to add pansies to the boxes once spring hits, that is if i'm able to successfully start flowers from seeds. What I would really love is to have a little kitchen garden full of vegetables, fruits and herbs that could be used when cooking. What a great way to incorporate fresh and healthy items into meals. Planting a garden: definitely added to my list of things i would love to do one day.
so how does this relate to our weekend? Randy has the assignment of watering the flowers while I'm away and I must say, he's doing a great job.


Last but not least, we filled out our absentee ballots! November 4th is just around the corner so get them in the mail people!!

13 comments:

Jane said...

Oh wow--I am impressed with your gardening project. I love the idea of growing vegetables and herbs, too. That sounds so fun. Some day...

Also, I tried to enlarge the picture of your absentee ballot to spy on which presidential candidate you voted for...but it looks like you hadn't filled it in yet when you took the picture. Ha ha--I can't help but be a sneak. I need to mail my ballot in, too. (And fill it out for that matter).

Love you!

Anonymous said...

i love the table and chair set. once upon a time there was this great old fashioned sette at that same store in duvall. it was covered in blue and white ticking, it was perfect! i saw it out side their front door just waiting for me to come buy it. but, when i came back a few hours later it was GONE!! i was crushed. i like to tell myself that it was probably too expensive for me to purchase anyway. ( thats how i cope- although that was years ago and i still look over at that store when i pass in my car to see if it just might be back) so i'm glad that you table was there when your mom returned, i'd hate for you to suffer the same fate!

love, aunt sarah

Anonymous said...

HAHA Jane, I tried to read their ballot, too!!! And I love the new beatnik look, Randy! So handsome.
P.S. My secret word is "myaus." hmmmm, is it just me that sees innuendo?
Aunt LeAnn

Katie and Randy said...

hahahaha I purposefully didn't fill in my vote for president for fear that you would all try to sneak a peak!!

Courtney Shelby said...

Yea for Katie! I'm glad you got licensed in Oregon.
I'm also impressed with the gardening skills. Those are skills I am definitely lacking.
Can't wait for alumni weekend!!

{autie} said...

Fun little green thumb!!!
I love the flower boxes, what a fun idea!
you're awesome!

Anonymous said...

All right, I tried to read your ballot too. Aren't we a snoopy family! I keep laughing at the picture of Randy working on voting. That is just how I felt when I filled out my absentee ballot.

Loved your post Bugsy.
Mom

Jane said...

I keep thinking you look so pretty in the first picture! xo xo

Jen said...

Katie, I'm so glad you get to come back on the weekends. We miss you at the gym :) The planter boxes look awesome! I love fresh zucchini *hint hint* ;) heheheh - jk.

sa-rah said...

Wow-Katie, I'm super impressed with your gardening project, and congrats on getting certified!! Though, I'm glad you'll still be up north for another month so I can see you! :) I like the picture of Randy filling out his ballot - I feel the same way...Nice goatee, Randy!

Delayne said...

Nice goatee NOT! What are you thinking Randy? I love the table and chairs it really does look nice and something you can keep for a very long time. I'm very proud of you both, congradulations on all your successes lately.

love MOM

Danielle said...

Oh you are so creative! I love the garden idea. Inspiring. Sorry you are all alone this week. It will be over soon. We can't WAIT for you to come visit us though. I was just telling your mom that we never get to see you so it is extra special that you are coming for a visit.

Hannalee said...

Way to go on the gardening! And congrats on getting all licensed in Oregon. Also, I love the table and chairs. I'm totally jealous because we now have this huge dining room and still have our dinky little table that fit in our college apartments. :)