Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Alumni weekend in Utah

This past weekend I flew down to Utah for an Alumni celebration with my old teammates from UVSC....excuse me, UVU! Special shout out to my brother Travis and his wife Danielle for letting me take over Avery's room and to Doug for giving up his truck for the weekend!

Here are my TOP 10 highlights for the weekend (in no particular order or ranking):

1) Dinner with the girls and their families at PF Chang's in Salt Lake City. One of the many things I love about my teammates is that no matter how long it's been, when we get together we always have fun. No one is upset because you haven't called in the last 6 months...everyone is just happy to see each other and to catch up. A lot has happened over the last few years, marriages, engagements, babies, houses and new jobs. It was great to spend an evening catching up! Love you guys. (my camera was being funny so my pic with everyone didn't really turn out)

2) Visiting Jane and Alex (Ryan was there too). It was Alex's birthday so I headed to Provo after my dinner in SLC. It was great to see them and to get a tour of their first apartment. It's totally random, funky, slightly vintage and completely Jane and Alex all at the same time. Where else can you find a bathroom with the shower, toilet and sink sharing the same tiled floor surface and a light with no on/off nob, switch or flip; remote control required!

3) UVU Alumni game/dinner. I opted not to play in the alumni game. Two ACL knee surgeries and a meniscus tear later and you start to question stepping out on the court again. I took some grief from my teammates but it was still fun to see everyone back on the court playing together again. It was very obvious that basketball is no longer a top priority in our lives.


4) Visiting with my friend from Washington Melissa and her family. Getting to hold their new baby Megan and help sing bedtime songs to their daughter Elizabeth. Defiantly need to review the words to "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam."

5) Running over to Jill's house with Melissa. It was late so we didn't stay very long but I was great to see Jill. Thanks for letting up pop over!

6) I was able to sneak in a little time to see Randy's mom Delayne and his sister Lizzy and brother Chris. They are both getting so tall and really starting to grow up. Thanks Delayne for letting me come over and visit, even if it was only for a short visit. It was great to see you guys! We miss you!

7) Spending time with this little Angel:


8) REAL Salt Lake soccer game. RSL played the New York Redbulls for the Western Conference Finals. I'm a sports fan but I've never really gotten into soccer. My brother was able to get cheap tickets through is law firm so me, Trav and Ryan went. Seriously, I felt like I was in the middle of a Quidditch match straight out of Harry Potter. I've always heard that soccer fans are crazy and guess what...it's TRUE! The announcer kept coming over the loud speakers ordering fans to stop throwing things on the field or they would be asked to leave. Did this stop anyone...NO! Was anyone removed from the game...NO! Yards of party streamers donning RSL colors and smoke bombs continued to shower the field throughout the game. At one point, a wad of streamer actually pelted a NY player as he was throwing a ball in. Unfortunately, RSL lost the game. They had plenty of opportunities but couldn't pull it out. It was awesome and I would totally go to a game again.
The next morning I woke up with a sore jaw and clenched fists. I think I was gritting my teeth and pumping my fists all night in my sleep as I chanted "RSL, RSL, RSL!" over and over...



(Trav and Ryan being Rowdy)

(there were streamers covering the goal box but the employees pulled them down)

9) Sunday dinner with everyone up at Danielle and Trav's house.

10) Avery makes the list twice! She is just too cute. My camera skills aren't the greatest so it doesn't really do her justice. To view some excellent photos of her taken by my talented sister-in-law click here.


This trip was almost perfect. The only thing that would have made it even better would have been having this guy there to share it with.

Miss you honey!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't decide which pictures I like the best. Number 7 with Avery and her little tongue made me laugh, but so did the pictures in number 8, especially the one with the boys and their red "whatever those were" at the game.

I think the feeling I have most is that I sure miss having you and Randy living in our basement.

Cue the violins and pass the hankies.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a blast, but my favorite is the way you ended the post. It's NO FUN being apart!
AuntLeAnn

Jen said...

Devin here. You know I'm going to post about the soccer game :). Awesome that you got to go, totally jealous. Hopefully we will convert the U.S. to soccer, aka the biggest party in the world. By the way, we still need to have a game night with everybody. Tell Randy to come say hi in church. Later!

Jane said...

Oh that picture of Avery is so cute. And the picture of Randy is almost just as cute...ha ha. : )

{autie} said...

What a fun trip!!! You are so fun, and I'm so glad you got to go and see sooo many people!!

sa-rah said...

What a fun trip!! #7 made me laugh, but so did the ones of you in #8, with your furry hood - were you freezing?? I'm glad you had such a great trip!!

Hannalee said...

Go UVSC!! (I mean UVU) Wow, that brings back memories coming to your games. I'm glad you had fun with your old team and family. Fun times! Also, what a cute little baby...she's adorable!

Terry and Kelci said...

Dang! You were busy that weekend! Mrs. Popular...Sooorrryyy! Haha. It was good seeing you. You totally need to come back down and do the Woman of Steel tri!