Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I’ve decided lately that I really liked school. The past few nights Randy has had practice in the evening so instead of staying home by myself, I have walked over to school with him and gone to the library while he was at the gym. This gives me a chance to check my email, update the blog and work on other things. Pacific has a beautiful campus. It’s small, intimate, quiet and overall very peaceful. Last night as I was walking the short distance from the gym to the library I was overcome with feelings of nostalgia. It felt good to be walking through a college campus again. I have very fond memories of all three schools that I attended and in a way I kind of miss school. While I agree that there comes a time to enter the real world and to use the skills you have worked hard to attain, there is something very satisfying about studying and working hard to learn new things. Maybe it’s the freedom that comes from being able to focus on learning without dealing with all of the pressures of the adult world, or the refreshing feeling that comes from stimulating the mind. I’m not sure what it is exactly but I kind of miss it. The more I think about it, the more I realize that it's probably a combination of all of the above; the friends, the memories, the knowledge and the challenge all packed into one. I guess I’m grateful to have enjoyed my college experience. Maybe that’s why I spent 8 years putting myself through it!

On second thought, maybe it’s just nice to get out of the house and do something other than unpack, make dinner or clean. For whatever reason, maybe going to the library and playing student makes me feel like I’ve accomplished something. I really hope my Oregon license comes soon!

6 comments:

Danielle said...

I feel like that sometimes too Katie. I always get nostalgic for school in the Fall. It make me want to go out and buy pencils and notebook, and new boots!

the rutledge's- said...

Hey Katie- JD actually applied to PA school up at Pacific, if we ended up moving there we should for sure form a rec basketball team...what do you think?

Anonymous said...

I love school too. I have always felt that one of the great blessings and joys in life is to have the opportunity to study and learn. The world is so infinitely interesting.
Love,
Mom

Jane said...

I agree. I was just thinking today about how next year I won't be in school for a year and I started to panic slightly...like...what will I do with myself? Obviously work and read books for fun and clean the house more and blah blah, but it is hard to imagine not being in classes full-time...I'm nervous. Maybe I can convince mom and dad to keep paying tuition and let me go another year? Okay, probably not. But I think it would be lovely to do another minor just for fun...

Any luck with your license yet?

Love,
Jane

Terry and Kelci said...

Thanks, I don't know if I will get 1st in the next one. I'm def. shooting to improve my time though. There are some pretty hardcore people that train hard for these races. I don't really have time to train hard so, I'm a little behind in the endurance department. I love them though! They are super addicting! I want to do another one already! I totally think you should do one! There is a big one in May that I heard is really good. It's called the woman of steel triathlon in American Fork. It's pretty good distance and is a good one to do if you have not done one before. You should come compete in that one with me! If not that one, there are a bunch of other ones. It would be so fun! Bev actually did the splash n Dash with me. We can get her to do one with us too! Woah,this is really long comment. Let me know what you think!

{autie} said...

Katie, I found your blog through Brooklynns, so now I'm spying! It was so fun to read about what you guys have been up to and see pictures!