Monday, September 29, 2008

Over the hedge

Back in the day, my mom sat down my sister Jane and I and made us watch an Elizabeth Cady Stanton documentary about the Women's Suffrage Movement. My mom felt it was important for us to realize the importance of voting, especially as woman. 
That being said, I have never really been that intrigued by politics.  Political issues don't usually catch my attention and unfortunately I tend to be naively unaware.  But in light of all that is happening in our country I have realized, as of late, how important it is to be informed and aware. I decided to set a goal for Randy and I to make an effort to watch the Presidential and Vice Presidential debates. Friday's debates were interesting and I feel that I have a better idea of both candidates, their fundamental beliefs and the issues facing our country.  I would encourage anyone to watch the upcoming debates. 
On a much lighter note, Randy and I were on a walk the other day and encountered this neighbor. It was too funny of a spectacle not to take a picture.  This neighbor opted not to build the standard wood fence but to plant a 15 ft hedge instead. What better way to put this beautiful hedge to work than to display your political views. The best part about these displays is that they come to life at night. Not only are they visible during the day, but large flood lights illuminate the signs and continue to give them life throughout the night. In case anyone was curious, this neighbor is clearly a John McCain and Sarah Palin fan! 


2 comments:

Jane said...

Ha ha, that sign is hilarious! I am proud of you for your goals...now I need to get more on top of things and do the same...

Oh and don't you just love Mom for her efforts...I sure do.

Alena said...

I watched the debate on Friday. I didn't want to, but Dave talked me into it and I'm glad I did. I think watching the debates is a good idea now.

On another note, I like how you say you aren't very into politics... it gave me this immediate mental immage of you falling asleep during American Heritage.