But, as previously stated, the life of a temp is unpredictable. I ended up with a second free day so we added applesauce and peaches to our to-do list.
I remember helping my mom make jam as a kid but I forgot about how much work goes into the process! We boiled and washed and pressed and cleaned...and than cleaned some more. I swear we used every pot and bowl in the house, and my mom has a big house!
After all of that hard work, was it worth it? Definitely! Not just for the loot, but also for the chance to spend time with mom.
Canning this time around was just as much fun as I remember from childhood. I'm sure I complained...a lot... as a kid but my adult memories of those days are very pleasant. That being said, I think this time around was even more special. As I lay in bed after our first successful day of work, I felt as though I had found a place in history among a large number of women in my family. The experience must have brought back memories for my mom because for the greater part of the day she shared stories about her mom, grandma and their sisters as well as my dad's mom and her mom and sisters all canning. I really learned a lot about the history of my family, especially the women of my family. Not that canning is some miraculous thing, but in a small way, I felt a deep connection to those women. It made me proud to be a woman!
6 comments:
Wow Katie, that's so awesome all the canning you did!!! That's the best way to do it too, with your Mom or sister in the kitchen too. :) Hope you're having fun with your fam...maybe your'e back in Oregon now, but anyway, good luck looking for work.
I have to say I am a bit envious! I love doing things like that. Oh I miss blackberries! I might have to sneak a taste next time we are up there. good job kate.
I think canning is pretty darn miraculous! Can you teach me? Have fun enjoying your hard work.
Amen to the temp work dilemma...can be difficult. Good job canning and spending time with your mom. I love your pics by the way--they look pro!
I must say, I'm a bit envious, too! What a fun, wonderful way to spend time with your mom! Good luck with temping!
WoW impressive! Good job.Hope you guys are doing well!
Post a Comment