Thursday, May 21, 2009

Wheatland Ferry

If you are every traveling from Forest Grove to Woodburn (which is probably very unlikely) via Highway 47 you will eventually come to this landmark...Wheatland Ferry. 



The ferry costs $2 per car and is used to cross a stretch of the Willamette River that seperates Marion and Yamhill county. The crazy thing about it is 1) the ferry is the middle of nowhere...completely surrounded by farm land and fields and 2) the other side of the river is literally a rock throw away (ok that's a little exaggerated, it's about 580ft) We're still not sure why a bridge wasn't built in it's place. This was our second time using the ferry and i just love! The entire ride is over in a matter of minutes, but it is so fun. 



Next stop on the trip was the tulip festival in Woodburn. I have never been to a tulip festival and have always wanted see one. We went on closing weekend and a few of the tulips had been harvested but as you can see from the pictures, there was still plenty to see. It was beautiful! Randy and I really enjoyed the visit. 







How did I convince Randy to go? Woodburn also happens to be the location of a Nike outlet. I promised Randy we could stop in if he endured the tulips. A new pair of running shoes and a vanilla bean from Starbucks and this boy was happy! 



Overall, it was a really fun day. Beautiful tulips, a beautiful country drive, a crazy ferry and great company! 

6 comments:

Jen said...

when you were telling me that it was a short ferry ride, I wasn't thinking it was that short! that is funny. I have just put the tulip festival on my list of things to do next year. it looks so gorgeous! I'll have to think of a way to bribe dev...
we miss you guys! hope to see you in Utah in a few days. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, this looks awesome! What a fun day. Love you guys, Dad

Anonymous said...

Funny. You never went to the Mount Vernon tulip festival and Jane probably never went to the Marysville strawberry festival. You have to leave your backyards to finally see one!!
AuntLeAnn

Anonymous said...

hahahaha so true Aunt LeAnn! i always wanted to go to Mount Vernon but i missed the trip when Jane went. I guess better late than never :)

-Katie

AmyAnn said...

It looks beautiful!!! Miss you!

Woodengirl said...

I want to ride the Wheatland Ferry!
Love ya,
Mom