Saturday, February 7, 2009

Super Bowl XLIII


Randy and I each choose an item to prepare for our exclusive (Randy and I only) Super Bowl party. I planned to make individual chocolate cakes, made of half white/half whole-wheat flour, cooked in mini ramekins. Randy decided to make none other than, chicken wings (with Franks Buffalo Wing Sauce –thanks Court).

One of Randy’s all time favorite foods is chicken wings. Ever since he received a Hooters cookbook courtesy of my little brother 2 Christmas’s ago, he’s been on a mission to find the ultimate recipe. We’re trying to find a recipe that doesn’t require frying but still delivers in flavor. This time we decided to broil the wings….

I’m sitting on the couch while Randy is in the kitchen prepping his wings when all of a sudden he starts yelling FIRE, FIRE, FIRE!!!

I jumped up from the couch and run into the kitchen. Randy pulls down the oven door and flames come barreling out and up towards the cabinets.

Randy’s starts thinking aloud, “don’t use water…what’s that other thing we’re supposed to use?” “ Baking soda!” I shouted back. I grabbed our tiny box of baking soda out of the cupboard but when we opened the oven door again, the flames had grown even larger. We were both afraid to reach our hand in and pull the pan out of the oven in an attempt to douse it with baking soda. I tried to pour some of the baking soda down an air vent located under one of the back coils on the stovetop. Didn’t help.

Thankfully, we live in an apartment that has fire extinguishers outside of every building. I ran outside, grabbed the fire extinguisher, threw it to Randy who quickly ripped off the safety pin and blasted the flames.

 

Randy and I are both very grateful that the situation didn’t escalate into something tragic. It was very scary, very real and rattled us both. So, here’s what we learned:

ALWAYS KEEP A FIRE EXTINGUISHER IN YOUR HOME

 

Growing up, we never had a fire in our home. If this hadn't happened I don’t know if I would have thought to have one on hand. Thankfully our apartments had them. I’m not sure what we would have done if they weren’t available.

In the end, we spent the entire first half of the game, including half time, cleaning up our kitchen. Whatever is inside fire extinguishers sure creates a mess. It’s been almost a week and we’re still finding fine white powder throughout the kitchen. We laugh about it now, but it sure wasn’t funny at the time.

   

The bottom of our oven in actually black, not white!

 

Randy's attempt to vacuum up some of the mess.

Wondering what happened to the wings…luckily, the wings weren’t in the oven when the fire started. They were still sitting in the sink. Randy mustered up the courage to try and bake them again half way through the second half. We were both a little nervous about using the oven but everything was fine. Aside from the fire, I think we might be on to something with the broil technique…we’ll let you know.

  

Randy actually used drumsticks this time instead of wings. They had all the right flavors but lacked a certain wingy-ness. Next time we’ll stick with good ole wings and not what’s on sale. 

 

 

 

 

11 comments:

Jen said...

LOL!That is such a funny story! I'm so sad we missed out on that. You guys are awesome.

Woodengirl said...

Note to self: Broiling butter is off the list of things to try.

I was pretty freaked out when you told me this story over the phone. I second the notion to keep a fire extinguisher in the house. We always had one under the kitchen sink when you kids were growing up. It eventually expired. I think I better look into getting a new one.

Good job on the quick thinking, and quick action.

Did you ever make your little cakes?

Anonymous said...

Not a problem - the first 1/2 of the game was boring anyway. It didn't get good till the 4th quarter. By then you had everything under control and could enjoy the game - and the wings! Way to go!!

love ya
dad

Anonymous said...

S.C.A.R.Y!! We have two fire extinguishers. One under the sink and one in the garage. Be sure you check the rating on the extinguishers. We just checked and the one under the sink is only BC. The one in the garage is ABC (better). I'm happy you are both safe.
AuntLeAnn

Seth and Sierra said...

Oh man! Scary...but funny! Glad you're okay!

Danielle said...

I love your dad's comment...if you would have missed some good football, then it would have been really bad;)

Scary! Glad you are OK. I am amazed that I have never had a kitchen fire with my level of absentmindedness.

Did you make cinnamon rolls?

Jane said...

Oh yikes! I was always scared of fires when we were little...I don't think I ever told anyone that, but sometimes at night before I fell asleep I'd worry about what would happen if our house burned down. Kind of an odd thing to worry over as a child. Anyway, I'm glad you thought on your toes and had a fire extinguisher handy! I love you and am glad you're safe.

Woodengirl said...

I was just reading this again, and Katie forgot to tell you all that when she got to the fire extinguisher the little hammer thing was missing. Like the studette that she is she used her elbow to bash in the glass to get to the extinguisher. Can you just picture it? Hi-ya...Bam!

Terry and Kelci said...

Wow! Scary! good thing you had that extinguisher...at least the wings were saved :)

Alena said...

Wow, that will be a Super Bowl party you will never forget. I agree wit your mom, I wish I could go back in time and see you bust the glass with your elbow. I'm glad you guys are ok.

Courtney Shelby said...

I guess we should go buy a fire extinguisher. I've never thought about buying one, but after that story, I think I should get one. How scary! Glad you guys are okay!